Total raised so far:
€1199.00 Add to cart
€529.00 Add to cart
Dirk Bikkembergs black mountaineering boots with overlap front and laces through the soles (42) — late 90’s€799.00 Add to cart
€269.00 Add to cart
How to bid
1. First you need to make an account at vaniitas.com/my-account
2. You can set your maximum bid and the site will automatically overbid for you until your maximum bid is reached
3. If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of the auction ending, the auction will be extended with 5 minutes. This is to avoid sniper bidding and this will leave sufficient time for you to place an additional bid.
4. A flat shipping fee of 25€ will be charged in the end, so no surprises on shipping fees! This also includes pre-paid import duties.
5. Payment is due withing 5 days of the auction ending.
In 1986, Bikkembergs went to London during fashion week to showcase his collection together with fellow graduates Ann Demeulemeester, Walter van Beirendonck, Dries Van Noten, Dirk Van Saene and Marina Yee.
From this point on, they would be known as the iconic ‘Antwerp Six’.
Dirk Bikkembergs gained notoriety in the 90’s with his boots inspired by workman’s shoes or mountaineering boots. Not only was the concept so groundbreaking, but also how he presented these boots: combining these heavy duty boots with suits.
Some iconic details of Dirk’s boots include the holes drilled in the soles, through which the laces shoulder be put and afterwards wrapped around the boot. Some models have metals heels, with or without slit, reinforcing the ‘heavy duty’ aesthetic. All the mountaineering boots feature the larger square sole on the front and included a blue and black mountaineering elastic with hooks.
Due to their iconic status, all these models are heavy collected by fashion museums around the world and included in their permanent collection.